Monday, February 17, 2014

Fun Times in Canada

{This is actually at the Minneapolis airport, en route to Canada. Yes, I am a huge nerd.
But isn't my sweater cute? And no, I did not ask a random stranger to take my pic...
my travel buddy Grace helped me out. It was also at her suggestion

that I make antlers, so thank you, Grace. I'm always up for looking like an idiot.}

So. Canada. Canada is pretty much the same as anywhere in the US, except that it’s slightly different. It’s all about kilometers. And Celsius. Which means that at any given point in my trip, I did not know how warm or cold it was, and I did not know how far away anything was. And I definitely caved in and bought an international data plan, because paper maps? So 10 years ago. Thank you, iPhone maps, for talking out loud and telling me directly where to go and when to turn. Also, thank you for using miles, because does anyone know just how long a kilometer is? I have no sense of direction or distance as it is, let alone trying to convert on the metric scale as I’m driving 120 km/hour (which is not as fast as it sounds.) Anyway…the trip went okay. We ended up getting in to Toronto later than planned, at about 6:00pm, so it was already dark and snowing and we didn’t have time to explore the city. Also, I had to go through Customs upon arriving in Canada, because you know, I totally look like a suspicious crook who is coming in to wreak havoc on their snowy streets. But it wasn’t bad. I had to answer a few questions (“Robots? You’re training on a…robot?” "Yes sir, it's a robot.") and walk through a few of those maze walkway things, but otherwise, I made it through unscathed. My work at the pharmacy went fine, but what I was most concerned about was the snack food. (Of course…I am remembering all of my travels based on what snacks and candy I can consume while there.)

{I will say the snow is really pretty in Canada. And they got those roads clear right away, which was much appreciated after I came back to KC and slid home down I-29. Also, their bus system is called "Züm." I thought that was cute.}
First of all, the restaurant food in Canada is pretty much the same as in the US. I even asked the girls at the pharmacy if there were any good restaurants I should go to while I was in town. Most of their suggestions were similar to what we have in the states, but when I persisted and asked, surely there is something Canada is known for, right? A staple or signature dish? Their answer? Poutine. Oh, what is poutine, you may ask (I certainly did)? It’s French fries with gravy and curdled cheese. Um, no thanks. (They also told me the best place to get it is at KFC. WHAT?) Sorry Canada, but that’s all you have to offer? Sick. I did not try the poutine…although it seems to be pretty popular up there. Apparently, they even have poutine flavored potato chips, along with “Roastin’ Chicken” and “All Dressed.” And KETCHUP. They have ketchup flavored chips. I bought a bag, just for fun, and good Lord, they were disgusting. I ate two chips and had to toss the rest. Who in their right mind, other than three-year-olds going through that “I just want to suck ketchup off my French fries” phase, would want ketchup flavored chips?? It kind of still makes me gag a little when I think about them. (Also, my gals at the pharmacy couldn't believe that ketchup chips were not such a hit in the states.)

 
{Also, everything is in French on their labels, as well as English.}
 
{So gross.}

I decided to give the candy selection a chance to make up for the weird chips. Other than a few "bubble chocolates," their selection looked pretty close to what we have here. Until I found wine-flavored gummies. What?! Canada, way to go! Candy and wine, mixed together! I thought it was genius. Then I tried one. Also disgusting. The yogurt gummies were okay. The monster Twizzlers (“Twizzelators”…awesome) were the best out of all the weird stuff I bought. The last thing I will say about Canada’s food (since it looks like the majority of my post is about it) is I could definitely get behind their drink selection. Canada Dry Ginger Ale is a staple there, and sold pretty much everywhere. I love me some ginger ale. Also, orange Fanta was also everywhere I looked. So you get a point for soft drinks, Canada, but it still doesn’t really make up for the ketchup chips.




I’m actually heading back to Canada this weekend, but I’ll be flying into Calgary this time. Since the only available flight out of Kansas City is at 6:00am, I’m thinking I’ll have plenty of time to explore the city in the afternoon before driving to Strathmore. I’m hoping to report my travels next time with more than just pics of junk food and me acting like a moose in the Minneapolis airport. Here’s hoping. Happy Monday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment