Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Welcome to the Neighborhood



***************************
Prior to landing in my darling little Fairway neighborhood, I lived in a variety of apartments in southern Johnson county. The lack of trees and true “neighbors” (no matter what anyone argues, suburbs will never be proper neighborhoods in my opinion) made me crave shady yards and all different styles of homes, rather than the endless strip malls and beigey-tan cookie-cutter two stories. When I found my teeny-tiny two bedroom in a charming little neighborhood just a stone’s throw from Brookside and the Plaza area, I was ecstatic. The biggest draw for me was the “old house” charm that you just can’t build into sprawling apartment complexes. In fact, just other night, I was taking a long walk, winding back and forth down the streets that make up my  neighboring area (they’re in alphabetical order—how cute is that?) and I noticed that not two houses are the same. The styles, the porches, the colors and décor literally vary from home to home, and I was intrigued to discover the different personality of each home as I strolled by.

When I moved in to my petite bungalow, the little house had obviously been fixed up with clean, fresh paint on the walls, smooth hardwood floors and new kitchen fixtures, but it was undoubtedly the “old house” that I had been searching for. While I’ve had to get used to some “quirky” features (the laundry room is off the garage and the bathroom is one area that has not had a facelift), I still love the space.  I’ve been living here for about eight or nine months now, but it is a continual work in progress. My style is constantly progressing, and I’m still not 100% sure of what I want my interior “look” to be. I’ve had to rethink a few of my furniture choices and am still searching for a few new (or at least new to me) pieces to pull the rooms together; however, as my home continually evolves, I am constantly reminded how happy I am to be out of the ‘burbs and have my own space.

***************************
{This might just be my fav house on the street. With all the ivy and its
sloping roof, I think it looks like a cottage from a fairytale.}

{I love the big trees that line the streets.}

No comments:

Post a Comment